Learn more about COVID-19.
The health and wellbeing of our patients, visitors, and staff is our top priority. Iredell Health System and providers in the Iredell Physician Network follow the guidelines and recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Learn more about COVID-19 from the CDC below. PDF versions of the information below are also available in English and Spanish.
What are the symptoms?
Patients with COVID-19 have mild to severe respiratory illness with symptoms of:
- Shortness of breath
How can I protect myself?
People can help protect themselves from respiratory illness with everyday preventive actions.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
If you are sick, to keep from spreading illness to others, you should:
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
What if I suspect that I have COVID-19?
If you are sick with COVID-19 or suspect you are infected with the virus, you should:
- Stay home except to get medical care. Restrict your activities outside your home. Do not go to work, school, or public areas. Avoid using public transportation, ride-sharing, or taxis.
- Call ahead before visiting your doctor. If you have a medical appointment, call the healthcare provider and tell them that you have or may have COVID-19 before you go. This will help the healthcare provider’s office take steps to keep other people from getting infected or exposed.
- Separate yourself from other people and animals in your home. As much as possible, you should stay in a specific room and away from other people in your home. Also, you should use a separate bathroom, if available. Do not handle pets or other animals while sick.
How can I learn more about COVID-19?
For additional information and updates, please visit the following sites:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov
- Iredell County Health Department: https://nc-iredellcounty.civicplus.com/1383/Coronavirus-COVID-19
- North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services: https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov
- Subscribe to our health news e-newsletter from Coffey Communications.
Have a question you’d like to ask?
The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services has established a public hotline for questions on coronavirus COVID-19. To access the hotline, call 1.866.462.3821.